I had emergency surgery, so didn’t get the chance to ask questions beforehand,these are the questions I would have asked.
- What is the name of the surgery I am having?
- Will I be able to have keyhole surgery, and if not, what will my scarring be like?
- How long will I be in hospital for? And will I get any support when I am home?
- What anaesthetic will I be given, and what pain relief ?
- What complications are likely to occur and what usually is done for them?
- Have you performed many of these types of surgery?
- Will I need further surgery in the future?
- Will this affect my fertility?
- Will it affect my bladder as the surgery is very close?
- Who do I get in touch with afterwards if I have any problems?
- What is the recovery time for this surgery and when will I be able to return to work / school / the gym etc
- Is there anything that I won’t be able to do once I have this surgery?
- Is this surgery temporary or permanent?
- Can I have some reading materials about the stoma ? and will I have a stoma nurse to help me?
- Is there anything else you think I should know?